Welcome to the West of the Setting Sun
This Club is dedicated to the Game of Stones - Go. We also play Renju and Connect Six.
For those unfamiliar with the game of Go it originated in China around 3000 years ago and is the oldest game still played in its original form. It has only recently become popular in the West (from around 1970 onwards
It is a board game played on a 19x19 grid with black and white stones and a few simple rules. A game of flowing beauty and vast complexity it has fascinated players for centuries.
It was also the last game where human minds reigned supreme over AI ... until AlphaGo in 2016.
TOURNAMENTS & SIGN-UPS:
The Oct 2020 — Club tourney with token awards, 5 clubs Tournament
The 2019 LC & WSS All Play Together Tournament
The West of the Setting Sun 2019 Club Championship Tournament
Welcome to The West of the Setting Sun
Club, created in January 2009.
We are dedicated to playing Go and Renju and are not limited to just discussing them.
We play Go 7x7, Go 9x9, Go 13x13, Go 19x19, Basic Renju and all six Renju variants available here. We also play the new Renju style game called Connect Six.
We do not play any other games.
We have active ladders and tournaments and are open to interclub matches.
Anyone is free to join the club
HOW TO PLAY
For those new to Go
here is a guide to the game
See also the links below to find out more about Go.
For those new to Renju
here is T-Rex
's excellent guide.
See also the links below to find out more about Renju.
Here are some links that Club members may find interesting—
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game) Good general introduction and overview
- http://senseis.xmp.net/ Lots of good stuff
- http://www.usgo.org/ American Go Association
- http://itsyourturn.com/t_helptopic2120.html Tutorial about how to play
- https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/english/howto/howto1.htm Another tutorial about how to play
- http://www.britgo.org/index.html British Go Association
- http://playgo.to/interactive/ Interactive way to learn Go
- http://www.gokgs.com/ KGS Go Server (real-time)
- http://gobase.org/ Lots of information
- http://www.goproblems.com/ Online Go problems
- http://go4go.net/v2 Huge database of games by professional players
- http://igokisen.web.fc2.com/news.html Good overview of ongoing professional tournaments
- http://www.wbaduk.com/ Real-time game server with live-broadcast professional games
- http://web.archive.org/web/20100103114505/http://goldtoken.com/games/info?infoid=49 Go - an addictive game - GoldToken at the Internet Archive
to the folks at the Internet Archive -- http://www.archive.org/
-- for preserving that page which used to be this website's Information item #49 and
and GoldToken Support
for letting them archive it!
Here are some more links that Club members may find interesting—
- http://www.renju.net/ Renju International Federation (RIF)
- http://www.renju.net/study/openings.php Renju openings and responses
- http://renjuoffline.com/index.htm Renju Offline, turn-based site in English exclusively for Renju where strong players play
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renju Wikipedia article on Renju
- http://www.renjuclass.com/ Online Renju Class, for serious students of the game